A very freeing thought #WipItUp #traditional #inspirational #romance #courting


Happy WiPItUp Wednesday!

Here's another little snippet from Courted by Understanding, Book Four of In Hyacinth. Dora is on a picnic with Gaelic and finally really gets a look at how he sees her.

~~~~~

Watching as his thumbs rubbed lightly over the backs of her hands, Dora was sure nothing could be better than this very moment.

“I used to have such a crush on him,” she admitted and he looked up and smiled. “But he also kind of scared me. Really,” she said when he started to laugh. “Xan always has this kind of energy that wears me out.”

Nodding his head, he leaned in and kissed her lightly. “I know what you mean. He always has to be doing something, going somewhere. My cousin thinks very highly of you.”

Blushing a little, she shrugged. “He was already away at college when I became friends with Cami. I’m sure, to him, we were very bothersome teenagers.”

“Naw. He adores Cami. My mom thinks it’s because he always wanted a younger brother or sister and Charlotte had a hard time getting pregnant. So when Cami was born, all three of them were thrilled. Drake was a bit of a surprise a few years later.”

“And you’re an only child, too?”

“Yep. Mom and Dad only wanted one. I spent a lot of summers with Xan when I was a kid.”

Realizing she had never brought up what she knew, she squeezed his hands. “Gaelic?” He looked up into her eyes. “I know you stuttered as a kid.” A deep flush entered his cheeks and to her horror, his eyes dropped in shame. “There’s nothing to be ashamed of,” she said, shaking his hands. “I’ve been teased all my life about being overweight. I’m just trying to tell you, I understand what you’ve been through.”

Startled, his head came up. “Overweight? Dora, you’re beautiful. I’ve always thought so.” At the last few words, his face became even redder and she stared.

“What do you mean you’ve always thought so?”

“I saw you for the first time four years ago,” he admitted. “I was here visiting the family and you were having a sleep over with Cami. I only saw you as the two of you zoomed in and out of the room, but I-I was stunned by how preh-etty you were back then.”

Tears pricked her eyes. He saw her years ago, and she knew the timing. That was the summer she had been her biggest, a size eighteen. “You thought I was pretty when I was that big?”

Confusion crossed his face. “Dora, you’re beautiful. I don’t understand.”

That’s when it struck her. “You don’t see my weight, do you?”

His eyes looked down her body and then back up. “You look amazing. You always do.” After a pause, he continued. “I like your body. You have the curves of a woman. So many girls look like pre-teen boys anymore. It works for some guys, not for me.” His hands slid up her arms and throat, finally cupping her face. “I’m a man, Dora. I won’t lie to you. I’ve been with other women. There’s something about the softness of a full-figured woman that is comforting and soft. And when it comes to making love, is the best thing in the world.”

Moving in, his lips touched hers and as his arms wrapped around her, she kissed him back, trying to make sense of the fact he actually liked her as she was, whether she was a size twelve or a size eighteen. It was a very freeing thought.

~~~~~

Courted by Understanding
Book Four of In Hyacinth
Available Feb 27, 2015
Pre-order from Amazon

Dora Lexington is cute, round, and utterly practical. She has watched her best friends find their husbands, knowing full-well it will never happen to her. Or so she thinks until meeting Xander’s cousin Gaelic Covington. At first she doesn’t see how such a handsome, successful man can be attracted to her. But attracted he is. In fact, he has been head over heels in love with her for years.

As they come to know one another, they discover each other’s secrets and she finds out that in the heart of the strong man is a boy who is just as worried at being rejected as she is. Falling in love with him is simple; even simpler to submit to his lead. However, when Dora discoveres something about herself that she finds shocking, she tries to run. Now it’s up to Gaelic to convince her that nothing will make him leave, not even that.

About the series In Hyacinth:

Hyacinth, Washington is all about traditional values. In Hyacinth; its residents live their lives by discipline; there is a strong male head of house; and words like trust, honor, and kindness aren't just buzzwords. Each story in the series is of a young woman (18-20) and her struggle to figure out who she is in this little town while at the same time going through Hyacinth's old-fashioned courting system. On their way to meet, get to know, and finally marry their princes, these heroines grow in ways they and their town never expected.

Courted by Discipline, Book One is available.
Courted by Fall, Book Two is available.
Print Edition: Volume 1 is available (includes books 1 & 2)

Courted by Trouble, Book Three is available.

Courted by Understanding, Book Four - Pre-Order from Amazon

Check out some more great WIPs

Labels: , , , , , , , ,