Q is for Quintessential
Everyone has what they consider is the 'quintessential' parts to have in a romance to truly catch my attention. And everyone's is a different list.
- I need an HEA, though if it is a series about the same couple, then an HFN is okay until the ending, wherein I need an HEA.
- I need strong heroes, though not jerks. I like regular guys who have a few faults, but are basically good guys. Alpha males - by my definition - make it even better.
- I need heroines like me, so they tend to be quiet, intelligent, and sweet without being a doormat. I will admit, most of the heroines out there in best selling novels would not fit the bill. They are either too hard or so stupid they can't see the forest for the trees. Grrr.
- There needs to be growth in the relationship. I swear so many go from I don't know you to I love you in 2 pages. Why has she or he fallen in love? I want to know.
- Believable characters who have something to overcome and make me root for them.
- Romance. I know, that sounds funny, huh? But I want romance, not sex. Because sex isn't romance. I want the sweet gestures, the humorous mistakes, and the smiles that say more than words ever could (though as its a book, narration does help there!)
- Strong narration. Dialogue can get old and confusing, especially if all there is is dialogue and you can't tell who said what or what they're doing while they're talking.
Okay, there are smaller things, but that's my list in a nutshell. :) What do you need in a romance that will make you want to reread it into infinity?
Hyacinth, Washington is all about traditional values. In Hyacinth; its residents live their lives by discipline; there is a strong male head of house; and words like trust, honor, and kindness aren't just buzzwords. Each story in the series is of a young woman (18-20) and her struggle to figure out who she is in this little town while at the same time going through Hyacinth's old-fashioned courting system. On their way to meet, get to know, and finally marry their princes, these heroines grow in ways they and their town never expected.
Check out the other bloggers posts
Labels: HEA, hero, heroine, HFN, In Hyacinth, list, Q, Quintessential, romance, series, spankA2Z